Friday, February 18, 2011

Blood, Sweat and Tears...and Bruises!

Week four is complete and "challenging" just can't explain what this week presented to each of us!  Ladders was the topic and blood, sweat and tears was the result.  Going into this week I wanted to be a "trucky". This is one who rides on the ladder truck and as you may guess is incharge of putting up ladders, venting the roof, rescues as well as a million other jobs!  Ladders proved to be a little more than I could ever imagine! 

We started the week with just learning how to lift the ladders properly using our legs because they are way heavier than one could imagine.  We worked with both 24 foot and 35 foot ladders.  These are tall enough to reach the 3rd and 4th floor of a building.  After learning to lift the ladder properly, it was time to put them on the building and climb them.  This is where the SWEAT came in.  Moving ladders around and throwing them up on the building takes lots of muscle, which I thought I had...but not so much.  Then time to climb...


Climbing was going well until Captain Holloway decided to push me off the ladder!!  Ok, just kidding he didn't push me, but I freaked out and jumped...cylinder pack and all.  I thought I was on the like the 5th rung but turns out I was only on the 2nd according to Thompson!  We were working on rescues where the victim becomes unconcious and I was totally freaked out and a little scared (don't tell anyone...i shed a TEAR or two).  After jumping off the ladder, I was sure he wasn't going to make me try and rescue one of my classmates...but he did.  I went up to that third story window, and I did it thanks to the confidence Captain Holloway had in me.  We did the rescue the next day and no problem.  I brought that victim down like a pro!  ok, maybe like a pro-bie!  :) 

After week four, I am covered in bruises and suffered yet another bloody nose...who knew firefighting would be so fun??  Oh wait, we haven't even seen any fire yet!!  We started working with hoses today so the fire is coming soon! 






No comments:

Post a Comment